Quinoa with mushrooms, kale and sweet potatoes
When purchasing kale look for firm, deeply colored leaves, although leaves can range from dark green to purple to deep red. Smaller leaves will be more tender and milder in flavor. Store unwashed in an air-tight zipped plastic bag for up to five days in the refrigerator.
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 15m| Total Time: 30m
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 10 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch kale, stems discarded and leaves torn into 2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 ounce)
Place the quinoa and 2 cups water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until water is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the sweet potatoes and mushrooms and cook, tossing occasionally, until golden and beginning to soften, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the kale, wine, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, tossing often, until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve the vegetables over the quinoa and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
Recipe By Kate Merker , Real Simple Magazine September, 2009